Mutton & Potato curry is one of my favorite dishes which I learnt from my Granny.This is the classic comfort food whenever we had family gatherings. It is actually a very simple dish but invokes a lot of good memories. You can make the dish with small baby potatoes or big chunks of potatoes whichever you like 🙂 …. As you can see above we make it with both styles ….. I hope you like the Dish and the love that comes with it as you can see the pure joy my Grandma finds in her cooking ~ 🙂 Happy Cooking ! Kamakshi
Prep Time : 20 mins Cook Time : 30 mins
Serves : 6-8
- 1 Kg Mutton, cut into cubes
- 2 medium Potatoes, peeled and halved ( You can also use small whole potatoes)
- 2 Medium Onions
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1″ inch piece Ginger
- 3 Medium Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Whole Pepper ( Kali Mirch)
- 1/2 tsp whole Cloves ( Lavng)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds ( Zeera)
- 2 tbsp Meat Masala
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Turmeric ( Haldi)
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- 5 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 cup chopped Coriander / Cilantra to garnish
- Make a paste of onion, garlic and ginger and keep aside.
- Combine the whole pepper, cloves and cumin seeds and coarsely grind into a powder.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil, add 1/4 tsp cumin seeds and a pinch of turmeric and fry the potatoes for about 2 mins, till they are slight golden brown and then take them out in a separate dish.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and when it is luke warm add the chilli powder and stir. This gives a nice red color to the oil . Add the onion, ginger, garlic paste and fry for 2-3 mins till it is half cooked.
- Add the grounded masalas,meat masala, chilli powder, turmeric and salt and fry for 5 mins till the masala starts leaving oil.
- Add the meat pieces and fry for 3-4 mins till the masala is nicely coated on the pieces. Add the chopped tomatoes and the stir fried potatoes and fry for another 3 mins.
- Add two cups of warm warm and pressure cook for 15-20 mins till the meat becomes tender.
- When the meat is cooked, sprinkle garam masala on top, mix well and serve garnished with chopped cilantro. Enjoy 🙂 !