My Grandma’s fish head curry is one of my favorite dishes and a wonderful dish for a family lunch . Enjoy ~ Kamakshi
Prep Time : 15 mins Cook Time : 20 mins
Serves : 4
- 4 Medium size Fish Head ( Kept whole , cleaned and gills removed)
- 50 ml Oil
- 5 tbsp Masoor Dal (Red Lentils), washed and soaked in water for 10-15 mins
- 2 Medium Potatoes , cut into two halves
- 1 Medium Brijal (baigan) , cut into large cubes
- 10 Lady fingers ( bhindi) , chopped into two halves
- 2 Carrots ( gajar) , chopped into big cubes
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped into big cubes
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1″ Ginger, sliced
- 4 Medium Tomatoes, chopped into cubes
- 4-5 green chillies, slit
- 3 bay leaves
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp Turmeric (Haldi)
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 4 tbsp Tamarind Paste (Optional)
- Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves and pepper and stir fry for 2 mins.
- Add all the chopped vegetables (potatoes, carrots, lady finger, brinjal) and stir fry for 3-4 mins. Remove the vegetables from the oil and keep aside. Leave the bay leaves and whole spices in the oil.
- In the same oil, add the ginger, garlic and onions. Fry till the onions become a bit soft and add the whole fish heads, salt, turmeric,chilli powder, chopped tomatoes and fry for couple of minutes, turning the fish head occasionally to ensure that is nicely coated with the masalas.
- Add the dal/lentil and mix properly and fry for 2 mins.
- Add 5 cups of water and boil for 10 mins. Add the sauteed vegetables, tamarind paste and pressure cook for 15 mins. If you are cooking in an open pan, then cook till the vegetables and fish head is cooked and tender. While cooking don’t stir the fish head to often.
- Garnish with coriander/cilantro and serve with plain rice.