Chole is a spicy Chick Pea Curry and very popular dish from Northern India . It is usually eaten with Bhaturas ( Fried Indian Bread) and makes a very wholesome lunch/dinner. Enjoy ~ Kamakshi
Soaking Time : 4 hours for the dried chickpeas
Prep Time : 15 mins Cook Time : 30 mins
- 2 cups dried Chick peas ( Kabuli Chana), soaked overnight or atleast for 4 hours
- 1 Teabag / 1 tbsp of Tea leaves wrapped in a muslin cloth ~ This is used to give the nice dark brown color to the dish
- 2 Black Cardamoms ( Black Elaichi )
- 1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
- 3 Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 sprig of Coriander/Cilantro , chopped
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 3 tsp Chana Masala Powder ( ready made power available in most Indian grocery stores)
- 4 tbsp Oil
- Soak the Chick peas overnight or at least for 3-4 hours. In a pressure cooker, add the chickpeas, tea bag, double the amount of water and pressure cook for 15-20 mins till the chick peas become soft. Don’t over cook it else the chick peas will become mushy.
- After cooking the chick peas, discard the tea bag.
- Heat oil in a pan , add the ginger stir fry for a minute and add the chopped onions till they become soft.
- Add the coriander powder, chilli powder, salt , garam masala and chana masala and fry it for a minute. Add the chopped chillies and tomatoes and fry till the oil starts separating from the masalas. If the masala sticks to the pan, add couple of drops of water.
- Drain the chick peas ( reserve the water) and add it to the pan. Fry for 3-4 minutes till the chick peas is nicely coated with all the masalas. Then add the water in which the chick peas were cooked and cook for 10 – 12 mins till the gravy become thick.
- Garnish with coriander/cilantro and serve with Puris, Rotis or Bhaturas.