Pad Thai is one of the most popular Thai fast food which is loved by many people. It is a delicious dish of stir fried rice noodles,with a combination of meat, eggs and vegetables of your choice. The secret ingredient is the Pad Thai sauce which you can easily get in any Asian Store. If you cannot find it you can easily re-create it at home using tamarind pulp, brown sugar and fish sauce. Happy Cooking Enjoy 🙂 ! Kamakshi
Prep Time : 20 Mins Cook time : 30 mins
Serves : 4
- 400 gms Flat rice noodles
- 300 gms whole shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tbsp Pad Thai Sauce
- 1 cup Tofu , cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 medium size onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp Chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup green onion , chopped in 1″ pieces
- 2 bak choy , cleaned and seperated
- 2 cups of bean sprouts
- Salt as per taste
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts ( cover removed)
- 4 wedges of lemon
- 1/2 cup Cilantro leaves
- Chill flakes
- For Pad Thai , it is essential to use the correct noodles. These noodles are available in any Asian store. Thai Choice brand is one of my favorite brand. You can use any one you can get your hands on.
- For this dish it is important that the noodles are not over cooked. The best way to ensure that is to boil a large pot of water, add the rice noodles to the hot water and switch of the heat. Soak the noodles for 5-6 mins, till they bend easily ( they become white in color). It should be firm and slightly “under cooked”. Drain the noodles and rinse in cold water to prevent it from sticking.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok or non stick pan and pan fry the tofu for 5-6 mins till both side are golden brown. Remove the tofu from the wok and set it aside.
- Heat rest of the oil in the pan and add the chopped garlic and onion and stir fry for 2-3 mins. Add the chilli flakes and the fried tofu pieces and mix well.
- Next add the whole shrimp and stir fry for less than a minute. Do not cook the shrimp for long as it will shrink and become very chewy.
- Move the tofu and shrimp to the side of the pan and add the noodles and to the other side. Add half of the pad thai sauce to the noodles .
PAD THAI SAUCE
- Stir and mix the noodles along with the tofu and shrimp for about 2 mins. At this point of time, take out of the shrimp and keep it aside. We do this to ensure that the shrimp is not over cooked and it does not shrink. Now add the rest of the Pad Thai sauce and mix well.
- Again move the noodles to one side of the wok, add a tablespoon of oil and break the eggs directly into the wok.
- When is egg is half cooked, move the noodles over the eggs.
- Now mix the noodles and eggs together.
- Now add the green onions, bak choy and bean sprouts ( I did not add in mine as my kids don’t eat sprouts 🙂 but I would definitely recommend it !)
- Mix all well , add the salt and stir fry for just another minute.
- To serve, put the noodles on individual plates, garnish with the cooked shrimp, roasted peanuts, cilantro and lemon wedges and chilli flakes on the sides. Enjoy your meal 🙂 !