Pork Curry with Iskus or Chayote Squash ( Check out more information on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chayote )
One of my all time favorite comfort food …. Thanks to my dearest friend Sunita, who gave me wonderful white Iskus from her kitchen garden which inspired me to make this dish … Used my Grandma’s recipe for Pork curry ( with zero oil , just cooked in the Pork fat … although I am sure the calories are not less !!!) and added huge chunks of Iskus… my Mom’s style…. With cooking delegated only to weekends ( back to a full time job !!!) , this is worth the wait 🙂 …. Enjoy and Happy Cooking 🙂 ~ Kamakshi
Prep Time : 10 mins Cook Time : 15 mins
Serves : 6
- 1 Kg Pork , cut into medium size cubes
- 4 Medium size , Chayote Squash ( Iskus) cut into big chunky pieces ( I just make 4 chunks out of 1 Iskus)
- 2 Large Onions, finely diced or made into a paste
- 7 Cloves of Garlic, finely diced
- 2 tsp Ginger Paste
- 3 Medium Tomatoes , finely diced
- 1 tsp Turmeric (Haldi)
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- In a pressure cooker, first add the pork meat. On top of the meat , layer with the chopped onions, garlic, ginger and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle chill powder, turmeric and salt on top and add 1 cup of water.
- Cover the pressure cooker and cook for 10 mins till the meat becomes tender.
- Switch of the gas, release the steam from the cooker and open the pressure cooker. The gravy will be watery when you check the meat. Add the chunks of Iskus to the meat, mix well. Put the pressure cooker cover again and pressure cook for another 10 mins. No additional water is required.
- Switch of the gas and let the pork and Iskus steam inside the pressure cooker. After 5-10 mins , open the cooker , gentle mix so that the iskus pieces do not become mushy.
- Serve hot with plain rice.