Nasi Goreng literally means “Fried Rice” and is very popular rice dish in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. It is simple to cook , with easy found ingredients and is a complete meal by itself, with a combination of rice, vegetables, egg, chicken and prawn. When I tried to replicate this wonderful dish at home, I found nearly 15 different ways to make it ….. so I guess there is no one single recipe for Nasi Goreng. I chose this recipe as I could easily find the all the ingredients in Nepal. Also, this dish can be adapted to suit both non-veg and veg diets. Enjoy 🙂 ~ Kamakshi
Prep Time : 20 mins Cook Time : 25 mins
Serves : 4
- 4 cups Cold Cooked Rice
- 1/2 cup Shrimp/Prawns
- 1/2 cup finely diced Pork/Chicken
- 1/2 cup Carrot, finely diced
- 4 Scallion (Green Onions), chopped
- 1 cube Chicken Seasoning ( Maggie/ Knorr)
- 5-6 cloves Garlic
- 1″ Ginger
- 1 Medium Red Onion
- 2 -3 Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder,
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar / Regular White Sugar
- 2 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 4 Eggs ( For Topping)
- Using a food process, make a thick paste of the red onion, chili, garlic, ginger, sugar and coriander powder.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the onion paste. Fry the paste for 5-6 minutes, till the paste gets cooked and the oil starts separating from the paste. Add the diced Pork/ Chicken and the shrimp and fry till the meat is thoroughly cooked.
- Add the diced carrot and scallions and fry for about a min Add the chicken stock cube and mix well.
- Add the cooked rice, salt and soya sauce and mix well into the meat and vegetables. Fry for 3-5 mins, till the rice,spices and vegetables are nicely mixed and the rice is thoroughly heated.
- Serve hot, garnished with a fried egg on top.
For Vegetarians : Skip all the meat and substitute with vegetables like pepper, peas, mushrooms, cabbage or chopped fried tofu.