Aloo Dum is a very hot and spicy Nepali Style Potato curry. The origins of this recipe is from the hill station of Darjeeling which is famous for this dish. Although it is super hot, this is a “hot” favorite among all my friends and one of the most requested recipes. So here it is for you to enjoy, straight from my kitchen 🙂 Happy Cooking !
Prep Time : 20 mins Cook Time : 15 mins
Serves : 4
- 500 gms Potatoes, boiled and cut into small cubes
- 12 Dry Red Chillies (Adjust to less if you want a less spicy version)
- 4 large Tomatores
- 1Tablespoon Red Chilli Powder/ Chilli Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Panch Poran (fenugeek,mustard,Kalonji,fennel, cumin)
- 3 Tablespoons Mustard Oil / Vegetable Oil
- salt to taste
- Boil the tomatoes and red chillies with a cup of water until the tomatoes are soft and mush. Peel the tomato and make a paste of the boiled tomatoes and red chillies.
- Heat oil in a pan and add Panch Phoran seeds. When it stops spluttering, add the mixture of red chilly paste and turmeric powder and chilli flakes. Fry the masala for about a minute and add the potatoes and salt and mix well . Cook for 2 mins .Add 1/2 cup of water and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes till the water dries up
- Serve with Pooris or Rotis . Enjoy !