While growing up, one of my favorite dishes which my Mom used to make was Shepard’s Pie (Yup, she is a great cook too ) ……Shepard’s Pie is basically a casserole dish, lined with cooked minced meat and vegetables and topped with mashed potatoes and baked. The English version is slightly bland for my Asian taste, therefore, I made the meat filling a bit spicier to suit our palate. A wholesome dish which is a meal by itself and I usually serve it with a salad and homemade dinner rolls. Enjoy ~ Kamakshi
Prep Time : 15 Mins Cook Time : 45 mins
- 600 gms Minced Meat ( Lamb, Pork, Beef)
- 2 Medium Onions, chopped
- 1 large or 2 Small Carrot, finely chopped
- 4 Medium Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 Shallots ( green onions), finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp All purpose Flour ( Maida) / Corn flour
- 2 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 2 tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 1 Chicken stock cube
- 1 tsp Cumin (Zeera) Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander ( Dhania) Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
For the Topping :
- 1 Kg Potatoes, boiled
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 Egg, to brush on top
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mash the boiled potatoes . Add the milk, butter, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly and keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat and add the onion, celery, shallots and carrots and cook for about 5 mins till the vegetables become soft. Add the mince meat and cook over high heat until lightly browned. Add the the chicken stock cube, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt, chilli flakes, soya sauce, tomato sauce and the chopped tomatoes and cook for another 5 mins.
- Mix the cornflour in 1 1/2 cups of water and add to the mince meat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat , cover and simmer for 10-15 mins, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking . The gravy shot not be watery and should thicken after cooking. Remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees. Pour the mince into a oven proof dish. Spoon the mashed potatoes on top, spreading it evenly with a fork. Brush with the beaten egg on the top of the potatoes. Sprinkle chillie flakes and bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 mins or until the mashed potatoes become golden brown.
- Serve with salad and dinner rolls.