Rajma AKA Indian Style Red Kidney Bean Curry is a very popular dish in India and the combination of ” Rajma Chawal” is enjoyed by people in all walks of life and the best ones which I have tasted is found in the “Dhabas ” ~ Road side restaurants of North India. It is simple and flavorful curry which can be enjoyed during lunch or dinner. Enjoy ! Kamakshi
Prep Time ( For Soaking ) : Overnight Cook Time : 30-40 mins
Serves : 4
- 1 1/2 cups Rajma /Red Kidney Beans, soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Whole Spices : 1 bay leaf, 4 cloves, 2 green cardamom , 1 black cardamom
- 1 tsp Cumin (Zeera) seeds
- 2 Medium Onions, finely chopped /grated
- 2 Green Chillies Chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger & Garlic Paste
- 4 Medium Tomatoes , chopped finely
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- Chopped Coriander for garnish
- Soak the rajma overnight or for alteast 5-6 hours. Wash and then cook in a pressure cooker with 4 cups of water for 20 mins till the beans become soft. Do not throw the water in which the rajma has been cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the whole spices and the cumin seeds and fry for about about 10 secs. Add the chopped onions and green chillies and fry till the onions become translucent. Then add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the onions become golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and turmeric, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Cook till the tomatoes become soft and the oil starts separating from the masala. If the masala starts sticking to the pan, sprinkle little bit of water.
- Now add the boiled kidney beans along with the water in which it was boiled and cook for another 5-10 mins so that the beans can absorb the flavor of the spices. You can mash some of the beans to make the gravy thicker. The consistency of the gravy can be adjusted by adding more hot water.
- Garnish with chopped coriander/cilantro and serve hot with plain rice or Roti.