Although I have always enjoyed cooking for my family, “baking” was definitely not my thing. When I was 15, I tried to bake a cake and it came out like a rock and ever since that day, I always thought I will never be good at baking and did not attempt it even once.20 years later and with a Hubby, who loves breads, cakes and anything baked, I finally attempted to face the oven again with some skepticism. I was pleasantly surprised, when all my baking experiments actually worked………. Now, I feel that if I can bake, then anyone can bake. I only pick up those baking recipes which are simple and easy to follow, so I think many of you will be able to do it, as long as you get over the idea that “Baking is difficult” … I hope you enjoy with me , my baking journey. Starting, with these wonderful mince meat buns and sausage rolls. Enjoy 🙂 ~ Kamakshi
Prep Time : 2.5 hrs Cook Time : 25-30 mins
Serves : 12 rolls / 12 buns
For the mince meat filling :
- 300 gms mince meat of any type (lamb, beef, chicken)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 green onion stalk, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 inch piece ginger, peeled and finely grated or chopped
- 2 green chilli, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and grated or crushed
- 2 tbs. cooking oil
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1/4 tsp. chilli powder
- Salt to taste
For the Dough
- 3 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 cup Milk
- 500 gms All purpose flour ( Maida)
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 5 tbsp Luke warm water
- 2 tbsp Sesame Seeds
For the mince meat filling :
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add onion, ginger and green chillies and fry until onions are golden brown.
- Add meat and stir fry until meat is nicely browned.
- Add spices and stir fry for a few more minutes and add peas and carrot.
- Turn heat to medium and cook till the meat is tender and all the water is absorbed. The filling should be dry. let it cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix the yeast and 2 tbsp sugar and dissolve it with 5 tbsp luke warm water ( should not be hot water) . Mix well and keep it aside for about 5 mins till it becomes frothy.
- In a big mixing bowl, add the flour, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt , oil and mix well. Gradually add the milk and make a loosely packed dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, take the dough and knead it with your hands until the dough becomes soft and supple. Knead for about 3-5 mins. The dough should be soft but should not stick to your hands.
- Take a big bowl, add 1/2 tsp of oil and put the dough and make sure it is coated with oil so that it does not dry out. Cover it with a plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature for about 90 mins, till the dough nearly doubles in size.
- Line a baking tray with nonstick baking liner or lightly mist with oil.
- Punch down the dough with your hands and knead it well so that all the air escapes from the dough. Using a knife, divide the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Take a piece of dough, make a ball and flatten it out into a disc about 4″ in diameter. Add a tsp of mince meat stuffing in the center of the disc and pinch all the end towards centre to cover the stuffing.
- Repeat for all the buns.Arrange them in the lined baking tray. Keep the pinched joined side down
- For the sausage rolls, roll the dough into long tube and wrap it around the sausage as shown in the picture.
- Place each bun, about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet (4 rows with 3 rolls each). Set aside the buns/rolls at room temperature for about 30-40 mins until they just begin to swell.
- Just before baking,thoroughly whisk the egg with 1 Tbs. water and brush all over each bun. Sprinkle poppy or sesame seeds (if using) on the buns.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. Bake on the center rack for about 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and let cool on a rack for 20 minutes before serving.
Note : I have made both the sausage rolls and the mince meat buns for demonstration. But the dough mentioned in the recipe should be sufficient for 12 rolls or 12 buns .
The Yeast is very important factor,let it be active and fresh,otherwise the whole recipe is flop. If your yeast mixture does not have bubbles and become frothy in 10 mins, then discard the yeast and try with a fresh packet again.
You can use any stuffing for your choice, like spicy potatoes, cottage cheese, sweet custard etc.