Prep Time : 5 hours (for soaking) Cook Time : 30 mins
- 2 cups of dries chickpeas (kabuli chana), soaked in water for 6 hours
- Crumbs from 2 slices of white bread
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 spoon of sesame (til) seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin (zeera) powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika/ chilli powder
- Salt, pepper
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash the soaked chickpeas and put them in a food processor with the garlic, onion and spices. Grind until you get a rough moist texture. Add a little water if needed.
- Move the mixture into a large bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and put aside, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Warm the oil – it should be hot, not boiling. Add the baking soda to the mixture and knead a little.
- Wet your hands and shape little balls. Fry until you get a deep brown shade. Serve hot with pita bread, vegetable salad, pickles.
Falafel can be used to make Falafel wraps which are excellent meal by it self . I usually serve it for dinner and it gets eaten faster than I can cook 🙂
Serves : 6