Pork is an all time favorite meat in my house. I learnt this recipe for Zeera Pork from my cousin sister who is from Darjeeling. I don’t know if this is a Nepali recipe but it certainly inspired by the Goan Pork Vindaloo. It is a hot and spicy with a hint of tangy taste due to the vinegar. Rather than a curry, it has a pickle kinda of taste and is super delicious. I have made this dish numerous times for our family gathering and it has always been a hot favorite. Just made some for our family pot luck lunch this weekend, so got a chance to share this recipe. Enjoy and Happy Cooking ~ Kamakshi
Prep Time : 15 mins Cook Time : 30 mins
- 1 Kg Pork
- 2 Big Onions
- 15 Dry Red Chillies ( Adjust according to your taste !) ~ break each into two pieces
- 2 tbsp Garlic Roughly Mashed
- 1″ Ginger – thinly sliced julienne
- 5 tbsp Cumin ( Jeera ) , Roasted and Ground into a powder
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1/3 cup Vinegar
- Salt as per taste
- Wash the Pork and make into medium size pieces
- Heat the Oil and add the sliced Onions. Fry for 2 mins and then add the Garlic, ginger and the Red Chillies and fry for about 15-20 seconds. Then add the pork pieces and cook for 5 mins.
- Then add salt and the roasted Cumin powder ( the dark brown color of the roasted cumin gives the vindaloo a nice dark color and a unique taste ! ) and chilli powder and fry for another 2 mins. Add 1 medium size cup of water and cook the meat on a slow flame. Let the meat simmer on a low fire as the meat soaks in the masala and gets cooked.
- To make this dish faster with the same results, I normally make it in a pressure cooker. The steps three steps remain the same. After add the water, I pressure cook the meat for 15 mins and then cook it in the open with the cover. If you see extra water, then you can cook it on high flame for few minutes so that the gravy becomes thick.
- After the meat is cooked, add the Vinegar, Mix well and keep it aside for 1 hour before serving. Taste better if it is cooked a day in advance.
Serves : 6