PURAN POLI ~ A dish that simple to look at but taste like heaven 🙂 …… It is a paratha with a sweet filling ….. I had this nearly 12 years ago ( it must be amazing to survived my taste buds for such a long time !) …… My friend’s mom was from Maharastra , India and used to make this during Holi . Finally got a chance to make it. Enjoy ~ Kamakshi
Soaking Time for Dal : 3-4 hrs
Prep Time : 15 mins Cook Time : 15 mins
Serves : 6
- 2 cups Chana Dal
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Green Cardamon powder
- 2 cup Maida
- 1 cup Atta
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric (Haldi)
- 4 tbsp Oil
1) Soak 2 cups of Chana Dal for 3-4 hours
2) Add Dal in a pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and pressure cook till it turns soft. Drain out excess water until the dal is absolutely dry. Add sugar and cook further for 4-5 mins ( Adjust sugar to your taste )
1) Mash the chana dal and sugar mixture so that it become a smooth paste. Add 1/2 tsp Green Cardamom powder ( or take out the seeds from 3 green cardamoms and cush them and mix it ) .
Step 3: The filling is ready for the Parathas.
1) Take 2 cups of Maida and 1 cup of Atta and mix 1/2 tbsp of salt and 1/2 tbsp of Haldi ( Turmeric)
2) Take 4 tablespoon of oil and mix it into the dry flour mixture
3) Add water to the mixture and kned the dough, till it stops sticking to your hand. Put some oil in your hand and knead it .
Step 6 :Fold the disc from all sides to cover the paste completely.
Step 7 : On a well-floured board gently roll out each poli to a 6 inches disc. This can get tricky as the paste does try to slide out. Use a little flour if that happens.
Step 8 : Roast each poli on a hot, dry girdle. Do not use oil or ghee. Roast both sides well