Thai Food is one of the favorite cuisine in my home, basically because it is spicy, easy to make and perfect for our Nepali taste. Last week, when my friend bought me the whole bundle of Thai spices, I was dying to try out the whole dried spices for Tom Yum Soup, which is my all time favorite. I have modified the soup and added different kinds of meat, plus Tofu and glass noodles so it is not exactly like the original Tom Yum soup, but it tastes even better with all the additional ingredients. Enjoy ~ Kamakshi
Prep Time : 15 mins Cook Time : 25 mins
Serves : 6
- 500 gms Prawns, Shelled and deveined
- 200 gms Tofu, sliced
- 200 gms Button Mushrooms, sliced
- 300 gms Chicken, sliced
- 6 tbsp Tom Yum Paste
- 1 small packet (60gms) Mung bean noodles / Glass Noodles
- 2 cups Coconut Milk
- 5 cups Water
- 2 Chicken/Shrimp stock cube
- 2-3 Fresh Chillies, sliced
- 2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 Pkt Dried Tom Yum Spice Mix ( Lemon grass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, red chilli )
Note : If you can get fresh lemon grass, galangal (thai ginger) and kaffir lime leaves , then it is perfect for this dish, if not, you can still go ahead and make it using the ready made Tom Yum Soup Paste ( which already includes these ingredients !) which is easily available in most Asian food stores.
- Pour 5 cups of water in a big dish and bring to a boil. Add the chicken/shrimp stock cube and boil for additional 2 mins. Add the sliced lemon grass, galangal and, kaffir lime leaves and boil for 3-4 mins.
- Add the Tom Yum Paste to the soup and add the sliced chicken and cook for 4-5 mins till the meat gets tender. Add the coconut milk to the soup and the chillies.
- Lastly, add the prawns, mushroom, tofu and glass noodles and cook for 4-5 mins. Add the fish sauce and adjust the seasonings to your taste.
- Serve with plain rice.