The Thai sweet chili sauce is known as Nam Chim Kai in Thailand . It is easily available in in bottles in most Asian food stores, but the recipe is so simple that you can easily make it at home. Much healthier version with no preservatives added. Thai sweet chili sauce makes a superb condiment for many Thai dishes and is excellent with chicken and fish as well as seafood. It is also wonderful as a marinade for grilling or as a dip for finger foods.
It goes amazingly well with Thai style corn fritters, as seen below.
Prep Time : 10 mins Cook Time : 10 mins
Serving : 1 cup
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Red Chili flakes
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon corn starch dissolved in 4 tablespoons cool water
- Add all the ingredients except the cornstarch water mixture into a pan and bring it to a boil.Reduce the heat and let it cook for 5-6 mins till it reduces to half. Add the corn starch and water mixture and cook till the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and do a taste test. The sauce should be sweet, sour and spicy. Adjust seasoning as per your taste. Serve as a dipping sauce with spring rolls, fritters, wantons and a host of other appetizers.