Amritsari Fried Fish is named after the city from where it originates i.e Amritsar in Punjab, India. Traditionally, the two main fish used for this dish is Sole and Singhara. However, you can easily make it with any boneless fish fillet of your choice. It is easy to prepare and can served as a appetizer or a side dish to accompany the main course. Hope you enjoy making it. Happy Cooking ! – Kamakshi
Prep Time : 20 mins Cook Time : 15 mins
Serves : 6
- 500 gms boneless fish, cut into 1.5 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Ginger paste
- 2 tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 cup Vinegar
- 1 cup Gram Flour (Besan)
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp Rice Flour
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Carom seeds (Ajwain)
- 1/2 cup Curd (Optional)
- 1 tsp Chat Masala (Optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups oil – to fry the fish
- For Garnish - Lemon wedges, onion rings and mint chutney
- In a large bowl , add the fish pieces and marinate with lemon juice, ginger and garlic paste,red chilli powder and salt and keep it aside for 15-20 mins
- Then add the gram flour, rice flour, vinegar, carom seeds, egg, turmeric,salt and curd to the fish pieces and nicely coat all the fish pieces with all the ingredients. The batter should not be too thin or thick. Just ensure that the pieces are evenly coated and the batter does not drip from the pieces..
- Heat oil in a pan and add the fish pieces. Please note that the oil should not be very hot or cold. Fry the fish pieces on medium heat, for 8-10 mins till it turns golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel to remove the excess oil and sprinkle chat masala on top and serve with onion rings, lemon wedges and mint chutney. Enjoy !