Nothing can beat the goodness of home cooked food. When I first tried to make dinner rolls at home, I was really skeptical if I could really make them well but I was surprised at how easy it was. I got this recipe from Fine Cooking magazine and my family loved them. Try it out and enjoy the delicious moments with your family ~ Kamakshi
Prep Time : 2.5 hrs Cook Time : 25 mins
Serves : 12 Rolls
- 3 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 cup Milk
- 500 gms All purpose flour ( Maida)
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Oil
- Sesame Seeds/ Poppy seeds ( optional)
- 1 Egg to brush the dinner rolls
- In a small bowl, mix the yeast and 2 tbsp sugar and dissolve it with 5 tbsp luke warm water ( should not be hot water) . Mix well and keep it aside for about 5 mins till it becomes frothy.
- In a big mixing bowl, add the flour, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt , oil and mix well. Gradually add the milk and make a loosely packed dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, take the dough and knead it with your hands until the dough becomes soft and supple. Knead for about 3-5 mins. The dough should be soft but should not stick to your hands.
- Take a big bowl, add 1/2 tsp of oil and put the dough and make sure it is coated with oil so that it does not dry out. Cover it with a plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature for about 90 mins, till the dough nearly doubles in size.
- Line two 13×18-inch rimmed baking sheets with parchment or nonstick baking liners and lightly mist them with vegetable oil .
- Punch down the dough with your hands and knead it well so that all the air escapes from the dough. Using a knife, divide the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Please check out the step by step guide on how to shape the dinner rolls which is available at the Fine Cooking site ! or if find it too difficult , just make round balls or simple twists.
- Place each dinner roll, about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet (4 rows with 3 rolls each). Set aside the dinner rolls at room temperature for about 30-40 mins until they just begin to swell.
- Just before baking,thoroughly whisk the egg with 1 Tbs. water and brush all over each roll. Sprinkle poppy or sesame seeds (if using) on the rolls.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. Bake on the center rack for about 20 mins , until golden brown. Remove and let cool on a rack for 20 minutes before serving.