Prep Time : 4-5 hrs ( for the dough) Cook Time : 15 – 20 mins
Yields : 12-14 buns
Pork Da Pao are basically pork steamed buns. They kind of look like giant Momos (Nepali meat dumplings ) . I was first introduced to Da Paos, in one of my favorite Chinese Restaurant called Mei Hua. Coincidentally, my mother-in-law had actually taught this dish to the cook in Mei Hua, when he was working for my in-laws nearly 25 years back in their Blue Bell Restaurant. So when I got married, I was glad to know that she knew how to make them. This is her recipe and we have eaten them numerous times and can vouch that they taste delicious especially with our homemade Tomato and Chilli sauce ( Recipe given below ) or with homemade Chinese Chilly Sauce. Enjoy ~ Kamakshi
For the Dough :
- 500 gms All purpose Flour ( Maida)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 1/2 tsp Dry Yeast
- Water to knead the dough
For the Pork Filling :
- 500gms Minced Pork
- 2 Medium Onions, finely choppped
- 1 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 2 tbsp Ginger, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
Pre-preparation ( Making the dough for the Da Pao) :
- Mix the dry yeast and sugar with 1/2 cup luke warm water (not hot !) and keep it aside for 10 mins.
- Combine flour, ½ teaspoon of salt, water and yeast mixture, knead into a smooth dough.
- Take 1 tsp of oil in your hand and rub it all over the dough and place it in a big bowl. Cover the bowl with a cling flim and let the dough rest for 4-5 hrs. Due to the yeast, it will double in size.
Mix all the ingredients of the pork filling and keep it aside. For Da Pao, we normally use finely diced pork in my home as we like chunkier meat in our fillings but if you don’t have the time, then Pork mince will also do.
After 4-5, the dough will nearly double in size. Knead it again and divided into 12 balls. Roll the balls into disc, with a rolling pin, with edges thinner than the middle.
Heat water in your steamer bowl and then steam the Da Paos for 15-20 mins. Serve Hot with a Tomato hot sauce/chutney
- 5 Tomatoes, blanched in hot water and the skin removed
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 4-5 Green Chillies
- 4 tsp Roasted Sesame seed
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon timur (Szechwan pepper)
- 2-3 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Salt according to taste
- Add all the ingredients into a mixer and blend. Serve with Da Pao.