Prep Time : 15 mins Cook Time : 25 mins
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil ( or you can use any other oil )
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 500 gms Tomatoes (blanched and pureed)
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste / Tomato Sauce
- Salt and Pepper as per taste
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 Bay leaf (Tej patta)
- 4 tbsp Shredded Cheese
- 1 tbsp dried Basil or 5-6 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
To Serve : 400 gm Pasta of your choice, cooked as per the instructions on the package
- Heat the oil in a wide frying pan over a gentle heat. Add the onions and fry gently, stirring frequently, until translucent. They should be softened and not browned. Don’t rush this stage – it should take about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute or so to soften. Tip in the tomatoes and the tomato paste and stir.
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper, sugar and the bay leaf.Bring up to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer very gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes have reduced down to a thick sauce. You may need to add a little water to prevent it from catching.
- When the sauce has been simmering for 10-15 minutes, bring a large pot of well-salted water to the boil and cook your pasta according to the packet instructions.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain.
- When the sauce is cooked, taste for seasoning and add salt and freshly ground black pepper . When you’re ready to serve it, add the cheese to the sauce. Add basil to the sauce, then turn off the heat from under the sauce. Remove the bay leaf .
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and serve.
Serves : 2