“Tofu”, soyabean beancurd is an extremely healthy food, full of proteins , few calories and easy to digest. On its own tofu is pretty bland but the best part about it , is that it has a remarkable ability to absorb the flavor of whatever ingredients it is cooked into. Luckily, our local grocer shop started selling tofu and I decided to include more of it in our menu. Considering, I love spicy food….. … I made it in our very own Nepali style and experimented a bit more by adding “Timbur” (Schewan Pepper) and it came out super delicious. It further strengthened my resolve to include it more in our diet ! Enjoy ~ Kamakshi
Prep Time : 15 Mins Cook Time : 20 Mins
Serves : 4
- 1 Tofu Cube (about 300-400 gms)
- 1 Medium Onion, Cut into half and sliced horizontally
- 1 Scallion (Green Onion) , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic, finely minded
- 3-4 Green Chillies, finely sliced
- 1 cup , diced Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin (Zeera) Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric ( Haldi)
- 2 tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp Timmur (Schewan Pepper) Powder
- 1 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Gently press the Tofu Cube and take out as much water as possible. Press it with a paper towel so that the excess water is absorbed. Cut the tofu into cubes or rectangular pieces.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan, add the tofu pieces ( handle it carefully so that it does not break) and stir fry the tofu on both side for about 2-3 mins till it become light brown. Don’t over fry the tofu as it becomes tough. Drain it on a paper towel and keep it aside.
- In the same pan add the remaining oil and add the minced garlic, green chillies and sliced onions. Cook for couple of min till the onions become soft. Add the chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric, chilli powder and cumin powder. Fry for 2 mins.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the cooked tomatoes & onion and cook for another couple of minutes, till the gravy starts to thicken. Add the chopped scallion, soya sauce, tomato sauce and mix well.
- Now, add the pan fried tofu pieces and the Timbur powder and coat the to tofu pieces nicely with the gravy. Adjust salt and seasonings.
- Serve with plain rice or noodles.