Mutton & Potato curry is one of my favorite dishes which I learnt from my Granny.This is the classic comfort food whenever we had family gatherings. It is actually a very simple dish but invokes a lot of good memories. You can make the dish with small baby potatoes or big chunks of potatoes whichever you like …. As you can see above we make it with both styles ….. I hope you like the Dish and the love that comes with it as you can see the pure joy my Grandma finds in her cooking ~ :) Happy Cooking ! Kamakshi
Prep Time : 20 mins Cook Time : 30 mins
Serves : 6-8
- 1 Kg Mutton, cut into cubes
- 2 medium Potatoes, peeled and halved ( You can also use small whole potatoes)
- 2 Medium Onions
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1″ inch piece Ginger
- 3 Medium Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Whole Pepper ( Kali Mirch)
- 1/2 tsp whole Cloves ( Lavng)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds ( Zeera)
- 2 tbsp Meat Masala
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Turmeric ( Haldi)
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- 5 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 cup chopped Coriander / Cilantra to garnish
- Make a paste of onion, garlic and ginger and keep aside.
- Combine the whole pepper, cloves and cumin seeds and coarsely grind into a powder.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil, add 1/4 tsp cumin seeds and a pinch of turmeric and fry the potatoes for about 2 mins, till they are slight golden brown and then take them out in a separate dish.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and when it is luke warm add the chilli powder and stir. This gives a nice red color to the oil . Add the onion, ginger, garlic paste and fry for 2-3 mins till it is half cooked.
- Add the grounded masalas,meat masala, chilli powder, turmeric and salt and fry for 5 mins till the masala starts leaving oil.
- Add the meat pieces and fry for 3-4 mins till the masala is nicely coated on the pieces. Add the chopped tomatoes and the stir fried potatoes and fry for another 3 mins.
- Add two cups of warm warm and pressure cook for 15-20 mins till the meat becomes tender.
- When the meat is cooked, sprinkle garam masala on top, mix well and serve garnished with chopped cilantro. Enjoy !