Fresh fenugeek leaves (methi) also know as Greek Hay is an amazing herb that is readily available in our kitchen. It has endless health benefits and is good for many ailments like diabetes, digestion, hair loss, skin problems etc. Methi and Chicken is a wonderful dish which combines the goodness of greens with meat. Enjoy ~ Kamakshi
Prep Time : 10 min Cook Time : 20 mins
Serves : 4-6
- 1 Kg chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 cups fresh Fenugeek leaves ( Methi)
- 4 Medium Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, 5 cloves garlic , 1″ ginger – made into a paste
- 1 tsp Cumin (Zeera) powder
- 1 tsp Coriander ( Dhania) powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric ( Haldi)
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 3 tbsp Oil
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the onion, ginger and garlic paste for 4-5 mins till all the water dries up and the paste is light brown in color.
- Add the chicken pieces to the paste and saute for couple of minutes. Add turmeric, red chilli powder, salt, cumin powder and coriander powder and mix well so that the chicken pieces are nicely coated with all the masalas.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 3-5 mins. If the masala starts sticking to the pan, sprinkle a bit of water and cook till the chicken becomes tender.
- Add the chopped fenugreek leaves to the chicken and cook for couple of minutes till the leaves become soft
- Turn of the heat and serve with Rotis/ Parathas.
Note : This recipe is for dry chicken and thus does not have a lot of gravy. If you wish to have this dish with rice , you can make it with gravy by adding 1 cup of yogurt along with the chicken pieces while cooking. Additionally, if you do not get fresh fenugeek leaves, you can replace it with 1 cup Kasturi Methi ( dry fenugeek leaves) .