Bitter gourd has a lot of medicinal properties and we, Nepali, love to have this vegetable in many different ways. One of the favorite Karela dish in our family , is Kerala ko Achar which is basically a type of salad which is made with sesame seeds with a twist of lemon and chilli . Enjoy ! ~ Kamakshi
Prep Time : 15 mins Cook Time : 15 mins
Serves : 4
- 5 Medium Bitter gourd ( Karela)
- 5 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Fenugeek seeds ( Methi)
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 5 tbsp Sesame seed powder ( sesame seed is dry roasted and ground to make a powder)
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 2 Lime
- Salt to taste
- Slice the bitter gourd into long thin pieces. Slice the green chillies length wise.
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan and add the fenugeek seeds. When the seeds start to splutter , add the green chillies. Saute for a minute and add the sliced bitter gourd and stir fry till the bitter gourd become tender.,
- Transfer the cooked bitter gourd into a mixing bowl. Add the red chilli powder, salt, sesame seed powder and lime juice and mix well. Adjust the chillies and lemon according to your taste.
- Serve as a salad/side dish.