Contributed By : Amrita Rai
Prep Time : 30 mins Cook Time : 15 mins
Dough for wrappers
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- water , as required
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 big chayote (iskus in nepali) fined grated
- 1 cup onion , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger , minced
- ½ teaspoon of ajinomoto
- ½ cup of cooking oil
- ½ packet butter (50 g)
- ½ cup grated cheese
- ½ teaspoon of fenugreek
- 3 medium size red tomato
- 4 green chilly ( you can added if you want more hot and spicy)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt to taste
Method of preparation of Momo:
- Dough: In a large bowl combine flour, salt and water. Mix well and knead until the dough becomes homogeneous in texture, about 8-10 minute.
- In a large bowl combine all filling ingredients except the oil and butter. Mix well .
- Heat oil and butter in a pan and pour over the filling mixture and adjust for seasoning with salt.
- Divide the dough into equal-sized balls and roll into very thin circles of roughly 4″ diameter.
- Dab a tiny bit of water on the edges of the circle. Put a tablespoon-full mix filling in the centre of each circle.
- Fold the edges over the filling and pinch and twist to seal or fold the Momo in half (into a semi-circular shape) and pinch the edges shut. Get as creative as you like with shapes, as long as you make sure to seal the edges well.
- Oil the momo steamer rack well. Place the packed Momos. In a steamer dish put water and bring to boil.
- Placed filled steamer momo rack and cook for 10-15 minutes
- Serve hot momos in with hot tomato chutney
Method of making Tomato Chutney:
- Put some 2 teaspoons oil in saucepan and bring to heat on light flame.
- Add ½ teaspoon fenugreek on hot oil
- Add tomato, green chili and garlic cloves and cover the saucepan with lid until tomato gets tender than put whole into a mixer and grind it.
Serves : 4