My dearest friend, Sushil, recently arrived from Bangkok and bought me a huge load of Thai spices, considering that I love to cook ….. Like an excited child, who had just been handed over a most wanted gift, I came home happy and eager to try out some recipes. I had a lot of interesting stuff to choose from, but decided on using the Coconut Milk Powder to make some spicy tangy Fish Curry as I had already bought some nice fresh fish in the morning. So in the spur of the moment, landed up making Fish curry with coconut milk……. Not in Thai style, but kind of a spicy one similar to the curry eaten in Kerala, India. My family loved it and I hope you can enjoy it too ~ Kamakshi
Prep Time : 15 mins Cook Time : 25-30 mins
Serves : 4
- 1 kg Fish, clean and sliced
- 1 Onion
- 2-3 green Chillies, slit lengthwise
- 3 Tomatoes, chopped
- 5-6 cloves Garlic
- 1″ Ginger
- 8-10 Curry Leaves (Kadi Patta)
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander (Dhania) powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric (Haldi)
- 1 tsp Fenugeek seeds ( Methi)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds (Rai)
- 3 tbsp Tamarind Juice (Imli)
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut Milk
- 4 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger in a blender and make a rough paste (not to fine).
- Heat the oil and add the Fenugeek and Mustard seeds. When it starts to splutter, add the slit green chillies and stir fry for 5-10 seconds.
- Add the onion-ginger-garlic paste and fry for about 3-5 mins till the onion changes color and become light brown. Then add the chopped tomatoes, curry leaves, chilli powder, turmeric, salt and coriander powder and cook till the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Add the tamarind paste and 1 1/2 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Add the fish pieces and cook for 8-10 mins. Do not stir the fish pieces as they make break. Gently hold the side of the pan and move the pan in slow circles twice,so that the fish mixes well with the curry.
- Lastly , add the coconut milk and simmer for another 5-7 mins. Adjust the seasonings as per your taste.
- Serve with rice.