Dahi Bada is a popular North Indian street food fare.It is an excellent cold appetizer/ snack or side dish in summers. It is favorite during all our family gathering and parties. Enjoy ! ~ Kamakshi
Dal Soaking Time : 3 hrs
Prep Time : 30 mins Cook time : 45 mins
Yields : 8-10 Badas
For the Badas :
- 1/2 Cup Split Mung (Green gram) dal
- 1 Cup Split (Black gram )Urad dal
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp minced green chillies
- 1/2 tbsp coriander (dhania) seeds
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp raisins, soaked
- salt to taste
- 500 ml Oil for deep frying
For the Yogurt sauce and Garnish:
- 1 1/2 cup Plain yougurt
- 2 tsp , dry roasted Cumin (zeera) sees, coarsely ground
- 2 tsp Chilli powder
- 5 tbsp Sweet Tamarind (Imli) Sauce
- 1 tbsp Powdered Sugar ( Optional)
- few Coriander /Cilantro leaves (Dhania)
- Salt to taste
- Wash the dals and soak them in water for 3 hrs and drain.
- Add the dals in a food processor with the coriander seeds, ginger, green chillies and make into a smooth paste. You might have to add little bit of water.
- Add salt, raisins and baking powder to the dal mixture and mix well till the mixture is light and fluffy. The mixture should be firm enough to scoop into portions. If not , add a little flour. Cover and keep aside the dal mixture for about 30 mins.
- Heat oil (should be atleast 2″ to cover the badas) in a pan over medium heat and drop scoops of the dal mixture ( about a golf ball size 🙂 ) into the oil. Fry the badas in hot oil over low heat slowly so that it gets properly cooked , about 4-5 mins on each side. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside. Continue frying, till all the badas are made.
- Soak the badas in luke warm water for about 5-8 mins. Carefully remove them from the water and press each bada between your palms and squeeze out all the excess water.
- For the yogurt sauce, whisk the yogurt in a bowl. Add salt,sugar, 1 tsp roasted cumin powder, 1 tsp chilli powder and mix properly.
- To serve, arrange the vadas in a shallow dish, top it up with the whisked yogurt sauce and garnish on top with Chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, tamarind sauce and coriander.
Note : I have used ready made Sweet tamarind sauce. If it is not available, then you can easily make it at home.
Tamarind Sweet Chutney ~ Take a cup of tamarind (imli) juice, add 1 tsp of Chat Masala, 2 tbsp Sugar and salt to taste. Boil this mixture for 5 mins till it thickens and cool it down and use it .