Wontons is type of dumpling that is found in Chinese cuisine. I find them really versatile because it can be served as a appetizer (both steamed and fried ) and can also be used to make wonderful wonton soup, which is prefect for cold days. In this recipe, I have used homemade wonton wrappers, but to make it easier and quicker, one can use also ready made wonton wrappers. Enjoy ~ Kamakshi
Prep Time : 25 mins Cook Time : 15 mins
Yields : 24 wontons
For the homemade Wonton Wrapper ( You can also use, ready made wonton wrappers)
- 2 cups All purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch/ Cornflour
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Beat the eggs and mix with the water. Pour the egg-water mix into the flour, mix well and knead the dough till it becomes smooth and pliable. Let it rest for 10-15 mins.
- Divide the dough into 4-6 portions. Roll out the dough on a surface lightly coated with cornstarch (if you use flour it may toughen it up). Roll out as thin as you possibly can.
- Cut into squares. Lightly dust it with cornstarch and keep aside.
FOR THE WONTON FILLING
- 300 gms Pork/Chicken Mince
- 3 tbsp very finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp Ginger, finely minced
- 11/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Soya sauce
- 1 tbsp Oil ( if using Chicken mince)
Add the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
ASSEMBLING & COOKING THE WONTONS :
- Take a square wonton wrapper Place a little filling in the center and scrunch it from all sides like a small bag. I find this method the easiest, but check out this link to see how you can fold wontons : How to fold wontons 8 different ways.
- Using the same method, prepare all the wontons.
- As an appetizer, you can serve them steamed or deep fried. To Steam them, place the wontons in a steamer and steam for 15 mins. To deep fry them, heat a pan with about one cup of oil, and deep fry 6-7 wontons at a time.
- Serve with Chilli sauce.
Serves : 2
- 10-12 wotons
- 3 cups Chicken stock
- 1/2 ” inch Gingerly, finely diced
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 2-3 Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Soya sauce
- 1 tsp Fish sauce
- 1 cup blanched Spinach or Bak Choy leaves
- 1 sprig Scallion, chopped
- For the broth, put all ingredients in soup pot except for the Bak Choy/ Spinach leaves and scallion. Simmer for about 20 mins.
- Once you’ve wrapped up your wontons, bring a pot of water to a boil. Drop wontons in. When they float to the surface drain them and set aside.
- To serve your soup, place some wontons in a bowl along with some blanched spinach/bak choy leaves and scallion. Ladle in the boiling broth and serve hot.