Enjoy the cooking Aunty and remember to make Aru-NA do the dishes! ~ Kirant
Prep Time : 20 mins Cook Time : 25 mins
Serves : 6
- 1 kg Chicken
- 5 Tbsp Coriander Seeds ( Whole – DHANIA)
- 3 Tbsp Fennel Seeds ( Whole – SAUF)
- 2 Tbsp Red Chilli Poweder
- 1 tsp Turmeric ( Haldi)
- 2 Tbsp Dry Mango Powder (Aam Chur) OR Lapsi Powder
- 1 Tbsp 5 spice mix Panch Phoran
- 50ml White Vinegar ( Sirka)
- 200 ml Oil
- Salt as per taste
Pre-Cooking Preparation :
1) Wash the chicken and drain out all the water . Ensure that maximum water drain off. Cut the chicken into medium size pieces
2) First dry roast the coriander seed and then roast the fennel seeds in a pan. The two should not be roasted together as they do not roast uniformly.
3) After roasting coriander and fennel seeds, grind both of them together in a grinder coarsely. It should not be very fine.To this mix, add the chilli powder and the Dry Mango Powder / Lapsi Powder
1) Heat Oil in the pan ( we use more oil in this dish as it is a pickle and can be reserved for up to 3 months in the refrigerator)
2) Add the Panch Phoran (five spice mix) to the oil and when it starts crackling, add the chicken pieces and cook in the Oil for 5 mins. Mix Turmeric and salt and cover the dish and cook the chicken till tender. Check the chicken from time to time to ensure that all the water dries up and the dish does not get burnt.
3) Once the chicken is cooked, gradually add the dry spices mix (coriander, fennel, chilli,dry mango powder) to the chicken and keep stirring. Keep the fire on very low flame and cook for 2 mins. The Masalas should be properly coated on all the chicken pieces.
4) Add vinegar and Mix
5) Let the pickle cool down and then store in air tight container and put it in the refrigerator. The pickle can last for upto 3 months. The Vinegar and Oil help to preserve it . However, if you are like our family, expect it to last only a week because there is nothing left after that to preserve…. Happy cooking 🙂 !!!
Note : The same recipe can be used to make Pork Pickle. The Pork has to be boiled and cut into cubes unlike chicken which does not have to be boiled.