Chicken cooked with Kashmiri Masala ….. Being a foodie , Friends n family members have started gifting me with cooking ingredients …. My dear granny bought me some lovely kashmiri Masala all the way from Kashmir and one of my dear friend, Jyoti Shrestha, gifted me a whole uncooked chicken 😉 …… Combined both to make this delicious curry. Many of you may not have access to Kashmiri Masala, therefore, I have also provided an alternative masala paste which is nearly as close as I could get to the Kashmiri Masala my granny gifted to me. Happy Cooking … Enjoy 🙂 ~ Kamakshi
Prep Time : 20 mins Cook Time : 30 mins
Serves : 4
- 1 Kg Chicken, cleaned and cut into medium size pieces
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric ( Haldi) powder
- 1 tsp Coriander (Dhania) powder
- 1 tsp Cumin (Zeera ) Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 3-4 Medium size tomatoes, grated or finely chopped
- 3 Medium size Onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri Masala ( if you don’t have it, then try with the alternative paste given below)
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 spring Coriander / Cilantro leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric (Haldi) powder
- 1 tsp Coriander (Dhania) Powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 5 Kashmiri Red Chillies ( they are not so spicy but they have a wonderful red color)
- 6-8 cloves Garlic
- 1″ piece Ginger
Marinate the chicken with chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder and ginger garlic paste and keep it aside for 20-30 mins.
Heat oil in a pan and keep it over a medium flame. Add the chopped onions and and fry till they are golden brown. Keep stirring it so that it does not get burnt. Always keep the flame on low. Add the Kashmiri Masala paste or the home made paste and cook for 2-3 mins.
Add the marinated chicken pieces into the pan and mix well so that each pieces is nicely coated. Then add the turmeric powder, coriander and cumin powder, garam masala and salt and mix well again.
Add the grated tomatoes and keep cooking it over a low flame so that the spices are nicely cooked. Cook it for 15 mins till all the oil starts separating and the gravy is dry.
Add half the coriander leaves and mix well. Add 1 cup of hot water to the chicken, cover the pot and cook for another 15 mins till the chicken meat become tender.
Garnish with chopped cilantro./coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or rotis 🙂 !!