Braided Raisin Bread …….smelling delicious when it is baking in your oven, and tastes even better on your breakfast table with dollops of butter. Enjoy ~ Kamakshi
Prep Time : 3 hrs Cook Time : 45 mins
Yields : 2 Loaves
- 1 Cup Raisins
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 500 gms All Purpose Flour (Maida)
- 3 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 Eggs
- Soak the raisins in hot water for about 10-15 mins till it become plump and then drain the water.
- In a small bowl, mix the yeast and 2 tbsp sugar and dissolve it with 5 tbsp luke warm water ( should not be hot water) . Mix well and keep it aside for about 5 mins till it becomes frothy.
- In a big mixing bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, 1 tsp salt , oil , cinnamon powder and raisin and mix well. Then add one beaten egg and the yeast mixture.Gradually add the milk and make a loosely packed dough.On a lightly floured surface, take the dough and knead it with your hands until the dough becomes soft and supple. Knead for about 5-6 mins. The dough should be soft but should not stick to your hands.
- Take a big bowl, add 1/2 tsp of oil and put the dough and make sure it is coated with oil so that it does not dry out. Cover it with a plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature for about 2 hours, till the dough nearly doubles in size.
Punch down the dough with your fist and knead for couple of mins. Divide the dough into halves. Then cut each half into 3 pieces and roll each piece into a long rope.
Braid together 3 ropes to form a braided loaf and tuck the end under.
Transfer the braided loaves into a slightly greased baking tray. Arrange each loaf about 4 inches apart. Set it aside in a warm place for another 30-40 mins, for it to rise. Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius. After the loaves have risen, brush the loaves with egg wash ( 1 egg beaten with a tbsp of water), sprinkle coarse sugar all over the loaves and bake in the middle rack of the oven for 40-45 mins until it is golden brown. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Note : Bread can be made 2 days ahead and kept, wrapped well, at room temperature or frozen 1 month.